Getting in a family vacation this summer during a global pandemic was probably as hard as you may think it was. Safety was my family’s top priority while also having the desire to be somewhere beautiful, special, and relaxing. After lots of research we decided it was smartest to stay in the North East. We found two beautiful gems in New England that made our end of the summer family vacation a special and memorable one.
The Ocean House in Watch Hill, Rhode Island was our first stop. Ocean House is the perfect balance of luxury and homespun comfort. It has to be one of the most gorgeous properties in the north east. This resort exceeded my expectations which were already fairly high given that the Ocean House is a Relais & Châteaux hotel.
4 Great Things That The Ocean House Has to Offer:
- Waterfront location with a private sand beach
- Spacious and aesthetically pleasing rooms
- Lots of delicious dining options
- Tips are included- No gratuity!
- less to think about, more time for relaxation 🙂
- Yogurt and Granola Parfait
- Oh! Spa Egg White Omelet
- Eggs Benedict
- New England Vegetable Hash
- Ocean House Smoked Salmon Tartine
- Waterfront Restaurant located at the Ocean House. And….just saying… Forbes Five Star Rated!!
Okay, if you have not been paying attention, it is now time to focus. The Club Room is an amazing Relais & Châteaux restaurant located at the Ocean House. *Men: a sports coat is required. Also, no phone usage allowed (lucky for you, I still snuck in a photo!)
- Truffle Risotto
- Fluke Crudo
- Blueberry Sorbet
- *Beware! : your mouth and tongue will turn blue but totally worth it
2 Other Must-Do’s While at The Ocean House:
- Catch the gorgeous, flaming red sunset located on the bay side of the hotel.
- This one is my fav. I don’t know if it is because I love everything about Veuve Clicquot, or the fact that it is a so aesthetically pleasing. But, you must check out the Secret Champagne Garden. Its location is hidden on the side of The Bistro restaurant located off of the Lobby. This garden showcases an array of Veuve Clicquot amid unobstructed ocean views. It truly feels magical!
There was no part of me that was ready to leave this gorgeous hotel. Everywhere I walked to on this resort was breathtaking— one of those things where you can’t resist taking out your phone and capturing the moment. My overall experience at the Ocean House was so unique and special and I hope to return one day.
Next Stop… Chatham Bars Inn Resort & Spa in Chatham, Massachusetts.
Chatham Bars Inn is an authentic Cape Cod getaway with beautiful scenery and a classic New England private beach. The resort is a 10 minute walk from town which has a long strip of shops and restaurants. While being a beautiful resort, the property was very unique and different from what I am used to. The rooms are located in separate mini cottage-like-homes that comprise a true Cape Cod style of architecture. The calm water has a multitude of sandbars where you can observe hundreds of seals enjoying the sea.
6 Great Things That The Chatham Bars Inn Has to Offer:
⁃ Private quarter-mile beach
⁃ Oceanfront heated pool and hot tub
⁃ Luxury spa
⁃ 24-hour fitness center
⁃ Fine dining
⁃ 3 har-tru tennis courts and 4-star golf course
Located at the Wequassett Resort and Gold Club. This 5-star restaurant is a MUST it was SO good.
- Oscietra Classic Caviar
- Maine Lobster Carbonara
- warning: addicting, tastes like candy
- Wagyu Strip
- Local Stripped Bass
The next restaurant I am about to recommend to you is officially on the list for my top 5 favorite restaurants in the world. It was so good that we ended up going there 2 nights in a row.
Located at the Chatham Inn. The word “amazing” doesn’t even do this restaurant justice. Cuvée is a Relais & Châteaux fine dining restaurant that is so unique and offers 3, 4, and 5-course menu options. Additionally, you are brought tasters in between courses- who doesn’t love that?!? The service was exquisite and each dish was better than the last. The presentation made each dish seem fake. I actually thought to myself several times while eating here: “Is this real life?”.
- Spanish octopus
- Chatham clams
- Maine Lobster
- Scallop Crudo
- A5 Japanese Wagyu
- I am still dreaming about this wagyu. A bit pricey but a once in a lifetime opportunity. Melts in your mouth, absolutely sensational.
2 more must-do’s while staying at Chatham Bars Inn
- Take a 15 minute drive to the Chatham Bars Inn Farm where they plant and harvest all the veggies that are served to you at all the restaurants at the hotel. It is always a cool experience to see farm to table in action, but even better when you can pick fresh produce and eat it on scene!
- I discovered a fruit at this farm called a “cucamelon”. A cucamelon is a crossover of a cucumber and a watermelon. It basically looks like the worlds smallest watermelon and is so fresh and crunchy. Cucamelons are my new obsession and I plan on planting them in my backyard next spring!
- Go whale watching. I am not sure why but I honestly was not so interested at the thought of this at first, but I am beyond happy that I agreed to go. This experience was so cool and blew away my expectations. We went around 10:30am which is when the whales are feeding. We saw about 4 humpback whales traveling together. If you decide to do this, lookout for the glowing and magical turquoise color that their fins create when the whales breach. Also look for the footprint that their tail leaves after they dive down to feed or swim.
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa was another amazing New England experience that had so many things to offer and do.
This was my first New England experience and I am already eager to go back. I feel like it is important to mention that both resorts we stayed out were extremely accommodating and prepared in regards to Covid-19. Whether it was the spacing in between tables or beach chairs and mandatory use of masks, the staff was noticeably trained to serve in a time like this. I feel it is a really important time to fit in a vacation getaway if you are fortunate enough. My family and I have not left our house for one night since February and after this amazing trip I realized how much it was needed.